Tuesday, January 11, 2011

NES Coffee Table (and it doubles as a working controller!)


I know what you’re thinking…how does a NES Table have to do with anything health or beauty related? Well…it doesn’t! This is a post more to help inspire people than it is about reviewing beauty products. Anyways, for those of you who don’t know what the NES system is, it stands for Nintendo Entertainment System, the first gaming system that Nintendo came out with (this is also the system where the famous “up, up , down, down, left, right, left, right, b, a, start” originated from!).

So here’s the story, one day a few years ago I was bored, so bored that I ventured onto YouTube and stumbled across this video of what appeared to be a giant NES controller, my inner-geek was intrigued and proceeded to click on the video…it was love at first sight and I knew I had to have one! The object I fell in love with was indeed, a giant NES controller that doubled as a coffee table…pure genius. It turns out that Kyle, the creator of this piece of art, had blogged about building it with almost step-by-step instructions. I visited his website, put together my own “how to” guide and voila…3 large boards of mdf and 4 months later, my masterpiece was finished! My husband is a big gaming geek and his 25th birthday was quickly approaching, so I decided to dive head first into this project and give it to him as his quarter-of-a-century birthday gift! The only wood-working experience I’ve had was in 8th grade building one of those little dragster cars, so I have barely any experience but I managed to pull it off. Bought some tools (just a basic jigsaw and hole saw and a couple of bits) and away I went!


If I can do this, pretty much anyone can build this sucker. The hardest part was actually piecing together the circuit board for the controller so that the table would actually function as a separate controller, that was a small nightmare in itself but again folks, it can be done! For detailed instructions, check out Kyle Downes’ blog here http://ultra-awesome.blogspot.com/. Below are some pics of the table in different pieces. If this post or my video inspired you to do something creative I’d love to hear about it!


Happy creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment